Set expiration of packaged .exe

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 6 years and 10 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
jpsider

Set expiration of packaged .exe

Post by jpsider »

Product, version and build: 2017 - 5.4.139 (totally not found where I expected it) :-)
(*** Please do not write "latest" as a version, specify a version number ***)
32 or 64 bit version of product:
Operating system: Win 10 1703 x64
32 or 64 bit OS: x64
PowerShell Version: 5.1

DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTIONS, KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM

Hey there, Hi there, ho there, I'm as happy as can be!!

So I read this article (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9849&p=53223&hilit=expire#p53223) that with no license the .exe that is created during a build will expire after 3 days. So I purchased a license!

My question, is can I now set the expiration of the .exe's I build? This way I can ensure my Help desk folks are required to update to the latest scripts etc... ?

Am I just missing this option in the menu's somewhere?

Thanks for any feedback suggestions!

-Justin
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Set expiration of packaged .exe

Post by Alexander Riedel »

There is no built in mechanism for that. I would suggest your script queries a network file on a server for a version number and compares. Then you can display a message to update.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
jpsider

Post by jpsider »

Well the mechanism has to exist if you are able to set the trial version to expire after 3 days right? It's just not exposed to the users.

Is there a place to drop a feature request?

I have a few other ways I've thought of to implement a solution, but an expiration date would simplify things for me.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Well, technically you are correct. But it is likely very rare that you know ahead of time when a new version will drop.
At any rate, feel free to post in the wish list forum.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
jpsider

Post by jpsider »

Yeah, just posted to the wish list, thanks!!

My office is on a monthly spin for deployment of powershell scripts that we use to manage our production environment, so I do know when files are available, however I may not know what the version is that my help desk folks are using.

So a fail safe of an expiration date would force them to update. And I would not have to remind them when they need to update for a new feature etc.

I think it would be a cool feature to have available. And at the worst for folks, they could just Rebuild if they still have the source.
This topic is 6 years and 10 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.