Updates triggered VirusTotal Alert

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 7 years and 1 week old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
larst1

Updates triggered VirusTotal Alert

Post by larst1 »

Powershell Studio 2017 (5.4.138) on Windows 7 64bit.

The issue is that while updating the product, our security partner (SecureWorks) flagged " SAPIEN PowerShell V2 Host (Command line) Win32.exe" as a potential virus. I have to confirm if this is a false positive or not in order to keep the software. I would like to continue to use the software but it seems like your software often gets flagged as a virus?

Thanks,

Larry
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 20
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Updates triggered VirusTotal Alert

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Most of these anti-virus software vendor still use outdated pattern matching algorithms while keeping the patters as small as possible for speed. It is fairly common to have false positives for anything written in .NET with that method. The particular file has been flagged by a few select anti-virus vendors after this last release, albeit never by Windows Defender. Having said that, we do not know what happens on your machine, so you should always err on the side of caution and submit a suspected file to your anti-virus vendor.
I am not sure why you would say we get flagged often as a virus.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 7 years and 1 week old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.