Modules not showing in Object Browser

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 7 years and 2 weeks old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
bpurchell

Modules not showing in Object Browser

Post by bpurchell »

Product, version and build: PowerShell Studio 2015 4.2.82
32 or 64 bit version of product: 32bit
Operating system:
32 or 64 bit OS: Windows 10 Anniversary Enterprise Edition 64bit
PowerShell Version: 5.1.14393.693

I had posted this in the "Customer Service" forum, but for whatever reason I wasn't able to reply. Basically none of my modules (ActiveDirectory, SQLPS, etc) show up in Object Browser - I see snappins but not modules. I tried running the "Build Module Cache.ps1" that was given to me, selected the modules and hit run - same results (not appearing). I also looked at the %APPDATA%\SAPIEN\CachedData2015\Local Machine at the Module cache files and they were empty. I manually added these entries to it:

ActiveDirectory|1.0.0.0|Active Directory Module
SQLPS|1.0|This module allows SQL Server administrators and developers to automate server administration

Which caused them to appear in the Object Browser, but when I try to expand them I get <EMPTY> even after rebuilding the cache. Any ideas?
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 20
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Modules not showing in Object Browser

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Please do not try to modify internal files manually unless specifically instructed to do so.
Is there any specific reason you are running a 32 bit version of the product on a 64 bit OS?
The module cache build script was made for the 2017 version, so it will not write to any 2015 folder.

Most likely this is a case of a botched installation where some required com objects did not get registered.
On the first startup after install PowerShell Studio runs a cache builder. It outputs messages in the output window, specially if there are errors.
Is there any chance you made a note of this output?
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
bpurchell

Post by bpurchell »

I installed the 32bit version just to see if that would fix it (was grasping at straws) - I had the 64 bit installed initially. I don't remember seeing any errors in the output window - but that isn't to say there wasn't any. Should I try uninstalling the application and delete any of the files that the uninstaller doesn't remove (e.g. the Cache folders)?
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 20
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

yes. That would probably be best. I cannot really tell what happens without any hint of an error message.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
bpurchell

Post by bpurchell »

This is fixed now, I uninstalled and deleted the cache files and then did a reinstall of the 64 bit version. Now I'm able to select v2 - 54 Powershell version and the modules appear. In my previous installation I could only select v3 and they weren't available.
This topic is 7 years and 2 weeks old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.