Debug error - "External Script Driver has stopped working"

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 7 years and 4 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
boomer007

Debug error - "External Script Driver has stopped working"

Post by boomer007 »

Product, version and build:5.2.128
32 or 64 bit version of product: 64
Operating system: Windows Server 2012 R2
32 or 64 bit OS: 64
PowerShell Version: 5

This error is back. At every single debugging I have this problem.
Script runs until the first breakpoint. As soon as you click on "Step-Out" this error occurs.
I tried several scripts (basic and complex, with form and without), and every time this happens.
Its a pain in the ... :cry:

Any thoughts or ideas?

Important information..I have installed Quest Powergui and Visual Studio 2015 on the very same server as well.

Cheers
Chris
DevinL

Re: Debug error - "External Script Driver has stopped working"

Post by DevinL »

Strange.. I've managed to reproduce this and it appears to be specifically related to Windows Server 2012 R2 with PowerShell V5.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, I've alerted the developers and when I get some more information I'll be sure to post it here.
DevinL
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
DevinL

Post by DevinL »

After some further testing, I believe I've narrowed it down to a specific version of V5.

Can you provide the output for your $PSVersionTable so I know exactly which build of V5 you're running?
DevinL
boomer007

Post by boomer007 »

Hello, here it is.
sapien_pstable.png
sapien_pstable.png (11.07 KiB) Viewed 3797 times
DevinL

Post by DevinL »

As I expected, I was only able to reproduce it with PowerShell 5.0, whenever I tried with 4.0 or the preview build of 5.1 it worked just fine. This is most likely a bug in PowerShell but we're investigating to make certain.

In the meantime, please note that the other debug functions (such as Step Into) do work so you can at least perform some debugging.

When we have some more information I'll be sure to post it here for you.
DevinL
boomer007

Post by boomer007 »

Hi,
thanks so far. Unfortunately I have the very same problem with this version of PowerShell 5
Cheers
Chris
Attachments
sapien_pstable.png
sapien_pstable.png (11.05 KiB) Viewed 3776 times
DevinL

Post by DevinL »

Yes, the problem is present in all of my 5.0 tests, it's the 5.1 build of PowerShell that seems to fix the issue but it's currently in preview for OS's other than Windows 10.

If you'd like to give it a try on your machine I recommend taking a look at this article:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/powers ... -configure
DevinL
boomer007

Post by boomer007 »

Hi,
I just upgraded to the 5.1 preview build of Powershell and still have that issue. I made sure that .Net 4.6 is installed.
Cheers
Chris
DevinL

Post by DevinL »

In that case, I'll try and reproduce this with 5.1 later and get back to you.
DevinL
DevinL

Post by DevinL »

I'd just like to let you know I've been able to reproduce this and have filed an internal bug report.

When I have some more information I'll be sure to post it here.
DevinL
This topic is 7 years and 4 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.