PowerShell Studio 2016 - getting started with GUI development?

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 7 years and 6 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
Jehoschua

PowerShell Studio 2016 - getting started with GUI development?

Post by Jehoschua »

Product, version and build: Powershell Studio 2016
32 or 64 bit version of product: n/a
Operating system: Windows
32 or 64 bit OS: 64
PowerShell Version: n/a

Good evening

We are very disappointed about Powershell Studio 2016 because the Documentation / "Product Manual" are very poor and to get more Information is very annoying because of the small community; therefore your customers need complete documentation to work efficient withoud googling all day long about Powershell Studio 2016 internals.

Some examples:

Unfortunately, in Powershell Studio 2016 the documentation is very ill-kempt (eg. if you open the Product Manual, you'll get a welcome Message for Version 2015(!), almost no linked Video are accessible and the Powershell Studio 2016 Manual describes just the basics which are already obvious if one is not a beginner). The TOC lists just the headers of level 1, therefore navigating / browsing is a pain and searching is annoying until we know the product and its terms.
The 'where do I start' collection (https://www.sapien.com/blog/2015/07/16/ ... o-i-start/) handles the starting questions and your Sapien YouTube-Videos handles the same questions again and don't answer questions to the advanced topics of Powershell Studio 2016 GUI or internals.
The Powershell Studio 2016 context help is just useful for .Net questions - which can easily be answered by google, too :-[.

Therefore our question: is there any up to date knowledge base with advanced topics? Any useful description of the most important properties in Powershell Studio 2016?

Some examples:
- Where is the documentation for the 'Command Extension' property?
A user tried to explain it here: viewtopic.php?t=6596
but it (no longer) works as he described. To be honest, we expect this answer from you respectively to be described in the product manual.

The 'Command Extension' property is just a placeholder for all important properties in my question. The Help-String for most properties in Powershell Studio 2016 are not very helpful: they just say the obvious but don't explain things.
Another great example of missing / bad documentation is the Hep text for this property: "Build: include/exclude/contend": "Build Action for the file". That's obvious. But what do the different settings mean? Why should I need "exclude"?

- Sapien has many great helper functions like Load-DataGridView. Where are they described? Is there any directory with all functions so that we do not have to create example applications to get the helper functions generated and then to search them in the source files?

Thank you very much for your help,
kind regards,
Thomas
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 20
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: PowerShell Studio 2016 - getting started with GUI development?

Post by Alexander Riedel »

I am sorry to hear you find this so annoying. It is true that documentation can simply not keep up with release cycles and the rapid monthly deployment of service builds.
And yes, the manual is mostly for beginners and not advanced users, as most manuals are.
I am not sure how the size of the community comes into play here, as you are free to post specific questions here and have the people who created the software answer them.
This would have the added benefit that others will discover the questions and their answer here or with the help of google.
We did start a site (info.sapien.com) to collect additional documentation and articles for a more permanent place than a blog, but without knowing your specific problems, it is hard to determine if anything there will help.

In general we are more than happy to see if we can produce articles or videos for problems our users face. That does require user feedback so we know what is needed. So, if you have any specific areas
you need information for, please feel free to create a list. I will be more than happy to pass it on to the appropriate place.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 7 years and 6 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.