Running script shows nothing

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 9 years and 8 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
whompem

Running script shows nothing

Post by whompem »

I brought this up already but I didn't get a response to it.

I went straight from PS2007 to PS2014 - I was used to a [Running] in the titlebar when a script was running. Now, all I get is a disabled run button while a script is running.

Can we get [Running] back in the titlebar? We get [break] while debugging when it hits a breakpoint.

Thanks.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Running script shows nothing

Post by Alexander Riedel »

The assumption was that you know when you run a script.
I will see what can be done, it is already on the list of change requests.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
whompem

Post by whompem »

You know that you've run it, true - but knowing when it is done is easier when there is a visual representation that it is running, especially if you aren't just sitting there watching it run.

Not sure if your comment was meant to be sarcastic or not, but assuming someone knows something was done isn't what a product meant to make life easier does. I can write a vbscript in notepad and run it in a commandshell if I want everything to be assumed.

Thanks.
Alexander Riedel

I apologize if you thought my reply was too terse.

Since 2007 a lot has changed. All scripts run out of process or even remote. Hitting a breakpoint is a defined event. A script will not move off that stopped state unless so instructed.

"Running" is a different story. A script can stop without external instruction either intentionally or by exception. There is not necessarily any communication to the hosting IDE about that termination. That can cause a false positive display of a state that is no longer true.

It was deemed better to make the indicator more subtle so that a delayed reaction to unexpected process termination does not lead to confusion.

I hope that explains it better.
Alexander Riedel
whompem

Post by whompem »

Let me show how having this is helpful (much like having the elevation button is helpful, but I can just run primalscript as administrator and achieve the same thing, it makes things easier for me):

I am attaching two images. Tell me from the images what script I am running and what the results are. I ran both tests the exact same way, yet PS2007 shows me output and which script is running, and I have found that when debugging in PS2014 output in debug mode sometimes doesn't show until the end, and sometimes it streams.

I understand the technical issues; however, when you try to run a second script PS2014 does tell you it is already capturing output from another script run. Why not put at the top of the output/debug windows what script it is capturing for? Since PS knows it is capturing and knows when it is done, those events can certainly be used as triggers.
Attachments
sp2007example.png
sp2007example.png (20.32 KiB) Viewed 7161 times
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (50.12 KiB) Viewed 7161 times
Alexander Riedel

Curious that you are not getting output. What build are you running?
Alexander Riedel
whompem

Post by whompem »

I am running 7.0.39

It does output sometimes - about 50/50 between caching until the end of the run and piping it during the script execution.
Alexander Riedel

It does cache, because otherwise scripts that produce large volumes of output can overwhelm the Windows messaging queue.
But it is also on a timer, so if nothing happens for a second it should output.

Do you have a specific script where it does not output until the end of the script? Something we can use to examine the problem?
Alexander Riedel
whompem

Post by whompem »

This script allows me to reproduce the issue:

Do While true
WScript.Echo "bye"
WScript.Sleep 1000

Loop

When I run this script in debug mode the output doesn't show during execution about 50% of the time for me. If I run it (not debug) then it works as expected.
Alexander Riedel

Thanks, we will investigate.
Alexander Riedel
This topic is 9 years and 8 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.