4.1 behaviors and memory leak

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 17 years and 1 month old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Memory fragmentation can be a problem in any case.
In order to find the root cause, Roger, could you please do the following:

- Disable the startup page in the options
- Close PrimalScript everytime before you hibernate for a few days.

Please let us know if that makes a difference.

Alex

Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
donj

Post by donj »

Hi Alex
The network activity is noticed because the Windows Firewall states that PrimalScript.exe is attempting to access the network.

PrimalScript occassionally attempts to check our Web server and see if a newer version is available. It's likely that this is the activity you're seeing; Enterprise Edition also attempts to open a port for the Remote Script Execution Engine (RSEE), although if you don't use that feature you don't need to permit the port. The manual explains how to change the port number used, as well.

You can control the automatic update check from the Help menu within the product.
abell@winintern.com

Post by abell@winintern.com »

No, I have not problems hibernating.
There was a KB and patch available for the hibernate problem, which I obtained and applied (long ago) but that has since been rolled into service pack.
abell@winintern.com

Post by abell@winintern.com »

I already have the startup page not displayed.
Closing PS before hibernation??
What is this going to show?
I mean, yes, I can do this, but I fail to see the point.

Roger
Alexander Riedel

It will show if the memory leaks occur because the process gets revived out of hibernation. Since we have no direct action that causes an obvious leak
I need to eliminate possibilities one by one.

Thanks!
Alexander Riedel
donj

Post by donj »

FWIW, I've been running PS 4.1 for three days nonstop. I've seen memory utilization climb as I use it, but never more than 300MB (and that was with a goodly numbe rof large files open). Minimizing the app always brought memory down to 3MB, suggesting that in my situation, at least, there's no leak, since the app is able to deallocate the memory it's using on a predictable basis.

So if there is a leak under other circumstances - hibernation, for example - then you'll need to test those specific circumstances to confirm or eliminate them. In and of itself, the app seems memory-stable.
FrankAndrew

Post by FrankAndrew »

To Alex and Jhicks,

I have just upgraded my PSP 4.1 from Build 529 to Build 530. And I am experiencing this same effect. I have popped up taskmgr to watch it as I work/move around in one of the scripts that is open. File size of this script is 326KB. Just moving around in the file causes PSP to increase it's memory usage. without PSP 4.1 running there is 236 MB of RAM in use. After starting PSP 4.1 and moving around in the file and working on it the memory usage GOES THRU THE ROOF slowly but surely. If you are NOT using the PSP instance then memory usage usually stays put. If I cut and paste it increases even faster.
I am using Windows 2000 Version 5.00.2195. BUT before you try to tell me that Windows 2000 is no longer supported, you should check with Microsoft first. The support for Home/small companies might have been dropped BUT for companies like ours, with 12,000 machines running Win2000 the support continues as before and WILL continue until some time in 2008. At that time we MIGHT switch over to Windows VISTA, but that is still up-in-the-air. We have absolutely NO plans to switch to Windows XP at ANY TIME AT ALL. Please let me know if you need/want any furthur data from me to help in solving this problem.
Alexander Riedel

I don't see that effect. But, as nobody posted yet what type of file they actually use when they experience this, I may just not be looking at the right spot.

How about you send me a file (zipped) with exact instructions what you are doing to make this happen?

Are you cutting and pasting?
Editing?
popping up PrimalSense windows?
making tooltips appear/disappear?
Simply typing?
Expanding snippets?
Does the file have syntax errors (in case of VBScript or JScript) when this happens?

The more information you get me, the faster I can get to the bottom of this.

Thanks!

Alex
alexr@sapien.com2006-11-27 02:52:41
Alexander Riedel
FrankAndrew

Post by FrankAndrew »

Hi Alex,
When cutting and Pasting the memory usage also increases and visibly in TaskMan.
Popping up the PrimalSense did NOT have any effect on this problem with my installation. Nor do the tip tools. When Editing (adding new text that was NOT there before) did NOT seem to cause this either.
Simply paging up and down using the pageup and pagedown keys on the keyboard make the memory usage in taskman look like the stairway to heaven, and it only comes down when primalscript is terminated, or when the virtuel memory is exhausted and then PSP is terminated automatically.
Alexander Riedel

I still don't know what type of file. Each type has its own parser, so this really is important.
Please also try if that memory consumption goes down when you minimze PS.
That would point to a resource leak rather than a memory leak.

Thanks
Alexander Riedel
This topic is 17 years and 1 month old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.