PrimalSense and ActionScript

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 17 years and 1 week old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
andy.thelwell@re-m.com

Post by andy.thelwell@re-m.com »

Hi,

Apologies if this post seems vague and nensensical... I've been away from PrimalScript for a whil and you know how it can be when you've forgotten some things.

OK, basically I use PS4.1 Enterprise, mainly for editing ActionScript 2.0 files. I've just had my machine cleaned and have re-installed PS from scratch... the latest version.

Now, I just feel absolutely sure that the PrimalSense functionality inside PrimalScript has changed (reduced) since the previous version. I'm sure that there used to be more robust PrimalSensery going on, but it seems to have disappeared.

Some examples:

1) When strong-typing a variable, hitting ":" after the variable name presents me with a PrimalSense list of types... however, the list contains ONLY names of classes that I have previously edited inside PrimalScript... there are none of the standard types (Number, MovieClip, TextField, whatever...)

2) I don't see any methods or property names for the standard types after hitting "."... for example, I declare a new variable "_xmlDoc", of type XML. Later in the code, I want to load some XML data into it... I type "_xmlDoc" and hit "." and I expect to see a list of the standard methods of the XML object ("load", "ignoreWhite", "createElement", whatver...) but I see nothing.

Have I set something up wrong... am I missing something? Or is it just behaving how it should? It's definitely different to how it was before the re-install...

Please, help!

Thanks

Andy
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Tools - Options - Environment - Directories.

The Classpath entry is most likely empty and is not pointing to your classes folder where the instrinsic MX classes are stored.

Alex

Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
andy.thelwell@re-m.com

Thanks Alex -- that's soved it. Thank you v. much for your help!

One slight moan... Is there any reason this doesn't appear to be in the manual or the help files...!?!

Also... would it be possible to have more than one classPath, in order to get full PrimalSensery of all my custom classes? That would be superb.
Alexander Riedel

Just edit the field to have multiple pathes separated by a semicolon.
We have been holding off on revamping the manual a bit since the next version
gets a complete do over UI-wise, but I make sure this gets addressed.

Alex
Alexander Riedel
andy.thelwell@re-m.com

Thanks Alex...
To be honest, with excellent online support like this, it makes the manual thing less of a big deal! (But yes, it still should be updated).

I added my custom classpath but it had no effect... however, if I have one of my custom classes open inside PrimalScript, the PrimalSense DOES work, offering me the methods/properties of that class when editing other files.... is this right?
Alexander Riedel

Once you added the additional folder(s) to the classpath you need to restart PrimalScript, these folders are only parsed on startup.

And yes, if you have no project opened, PrimalScript will treat all open files like a pseudo-project and provide PrimalSense for whatever it finds.

If you activate the class browser you can see classes come and go as you open and close files in that mode.

If you create a project then things are a bit more static and dependent on files actually included the active project.

Alex
Alexander Riedel
andy.thelwell@re-m.com

Hi Alex,
Thanks...

But this means that really there's no point adding custom paths to the ClassPath, since PrimalScript only scans for standard MX package classes at startup, not all classes in the folders?

For example, I have all my custom classes in C:AS2Classes.

I have a package com.re_m.animation, with a class inside there called PowerTween... I added C:AS2Classes to the classpath, but still no PrimalSense for the PowerTween class methods, unless I have PowerTween open in a new window (or unless it's explicitly added to a project?)

So adding the custom folder to the classpath has no effect? Or am I doing something wrong?
Alexander Riedel

No, it should pick up any *.as or *.asi files.
I'll run some tests as soon as I get to it to if there is a specific receipe or problem.

Alex
Alexander Riedel
This topic is 17 years and 1 week old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.