Active Document (tab) Close Button

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 17 years and 2 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
TomL

Post by TomL »

First I'd like to say thanks for the new release, as I see it has addressed several issues.

One thing I noticed deals with the ability to close from the tab, when several tabs are open and you click on a tab to activate that document, if the file name is short you end up closing the document because as the document "activates" it shifts the tabs to the left and then you end up clicking the "X". (It does handle it better when you choose to include the path with the file name - ie longer tab names).

This was first noticed when I used the "renewed" output pane and it closed before I could view the output.

BTW - it nice to have the output pane option, thanks.TomL2007-01-17 07:48:49
djlurch

Post by djlurch »

Tom:Good catch! The same thing happened to me and I didn't realize what was going on until I read your post.As mentioned, when selected, the size of the tab changes. This has lead to a few unintended tab closures.
TomL

Post by TomL »

Maybe if the "X" could be delayed a bit after changing focus, that might take care of the issue. (after the mouseout possibly)
djlurch

Post by djlurch »

I'm not excited about that idea, it seems to be a UI hack that doesn't address the fundamental problem.Is there a way toa) provide enough right padding on the tabs for the X element (even if it is not showing)b) do a dynamic or default tab width and shorten the file name?Honestly, I would look to Opera or Firefox for their implementation. After all, the initial request was based on modeling the tab X's after them.
Russ Pitcher

Post by Russ Pitcher »

I've had the same problem 3 or four times today! This only seems to happen to the last tab on the list as the close area seems to be hidden 'behind' the next tab for other tabs.
Maybe the close routine could be delayed for a short time (say 1/4 of a second) after the button has been clicked; or maybe the close area does not become active until after the mouseup event when the button is clicked?Russ Pitcher2007-01-18 09:13:23
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 20
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

We are working on it. The resizing, intended to make the most use of the space available, seems to make this unintuitive.

Alex
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
djlurch

Post by djlurch »

Alex:I looked at the behavior of Firefox.It appears that the width of the tabs is fixed until they no longer fit within the width of the menubar. At that point, the size of the tabs is reduced in a proportional manner.For example's sale the numbers represent the width of the tab:55 55 5 55 5 5 55 5 5 5 54.1 4.1 4.1 4.1 4.1 4.13.5 3.5 3.5 3.5 3.5 3.5 3.53.1 3.1 3.1 3.1 3.1 3.1 3.1 3.13.1 3.1 3.1 3.1 3.1 3.1 3.1 3.1 3.1Once it reaches a certain minimum width, then the tabs are added to the right.<personal opinion>Having unequal tab widths seems unbalanced and less visually appealing/intuitive.</personal opinion>
Russ Pitcher

Post by Russ Pitcher »

Alex, thanks for usual the quick response on this.

Just to put in my two pennies, I really like the close buttons on the tabs and I think that the re-sizing is well implemented - I like to see the whole title if possible - but, as ususal, the last item makes a mess of the rules. :-(
djlurch

Post by djlurch »

Russ:We all like to see the whole title if possible :)What are your thoughts on ...'ing the title versus having to use the <| |> buttons at the top right of the tab bar. After thinking about this, there appear to be many ways to implement the tabs.Anyone have any thoughts on a default size tab versus a dynamic size?
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 20
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

We are preparing a service build that fixes the minor mouse out issue and leaves the tab constant between active and not active.

However the individual tabs still have variable lengths within limits as determined by titles. The variable widths simply allows to maximize the space available while showing at least the full title.

I hope you all also noticed the new document menu drop down button on the right end of the document tab bar.

Alex

Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 17 years and 2 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.