Publishing Via FTP Problems

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 17 years and 2 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
djlurch

Post by djlurch »

I am working on utilizing more features of PS to streamline my development process. I read most of TFM about Projects/FTP publishing.If I understand correctly, I have to create a project and enter the FTP target information in the wizard. It appears that I have done this correctly. When I click on Project --> Publish Active Project, an FTP transfer dialog appears. Files start uploading and continue for about 5 minutes. Then the FTP dialog box stops responding for a bit and then displays the "The operation times about" dialog box. Clikcing on the Retry button yields the "The Connection with the server was reset" dialog box. Clicking the retry button on that dialog box yields the same box popping up again. Note that the file that the FTP component chokes on is different every time I've tried (*.gif, *.txt, *.asp)I did find the active/passive setting in the Project/FTP Upload options. Toggling that option does not appear to resolve the situation.This may be a firewall or FTP issue on my part, but the PS interface is not helping me determine whether this is the case.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

"The Connection with the server was reset" message indicates that your server times out. Some servers have a hard connection timeout regardless of activity.

Alex
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
djlurch

Post by djlurch »

The timeouts are occurring at about the 5 minute mark. The timeouts are set at 60 minutes. This looks to be related to my previous FTP Explorer issues.
djlurch2007-01-14 16:27:15
djlurch

Post by djlurch »

PS: The screenshot is from the Gene6FTP Administrative Panel.Also, please note that I have used multiple FTP client products and this problem has NEVER been a reoccurring problem with them!
Alexander Riedel

I have been connected to our ftp server since your first post and I can still upload and download without problems, so there is no timeout problem on our end.

Connect with IE to your ftp site and see if that causes the same problem, because PrimalScript uses WinInet just like IE.
Can you determine if the time is somewhat constant after which this occurs?

Alexander Riedel
djlurch

Post by djlurch »

It started working after some additional toggling. The problem was 100%. It is now 0%.I toggled the passive/active yet again. I changed from local to master mode. I checked the prompt before publishing project files checkbox. I selected include project target when publishing.Then it tried it and it worked. I will continue to experiment to see if I can reproduce the issue again.
djlurch

Post by djlurch »

You posted while I was composing :)
Alexander Riedel

Well, when you change from local to master mode, each file, as it gets saved locally, also gets saved to the ftp location. So you got rid of the big publish transfer hence the problem went away.

Can you check in your config tool there if there is a transfer amount limit?

Alex
Alexander Riedel
djlurch

Post by djlurch »

Alex:I just discovered that there are TWO places that the FTP information is managed. The Configuration Debug and the Configuration Release. Prior to getting it to work I believe I may have toggled the wrong Use Passive transfers checkbox.I started a new project. Using the wizard I entered the FTP information. The FTP Publishing failed.Then I went to Project Properties, changed both the Debug and Release to Use Passive transfers. Then it worked! <blush>So it appears to be a simple passive transfer setting</blush>I would have figured this out much sooner had there been an option for the initial FTP Publishing wizard that included a "Use passive transfers" checkbox.I am reading TFM and I'm not haven't seen the differentiation between the Debug and Release configurations.I believe some of my confusion is arrising from confusion about the menu. When I click on Project --> Publish Active Project...I presume that it is using the Release configuration? Is that correct? How do I make it use the debug configuration? (not that I would want to because I'm not sure what the difference is) Alex, I know it's simple for you, but it's a little confusing to me :)
Alexander Riedel

I am making a note of this to see how we can make the UI and the manual better.
I'll also see why there is not passive option in the wizard.

Thanks for your input.

Alex
Alexander Riedel
This topic is 17 years and 2 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.