Using a different debugger

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 17 years and 2 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
rnrepp@ilstu.edu

Post by rnrepp@ilstu.edu »

Is there a way to utilize a debugger already on the machine (say Visual Studio 2005's debugger)? I despise the built in debugger in Primalscript 4.1 Pro, and would rather use the Microsoft version (much as I never thought I'd hear myself say that).

-- Rod
Bob Denny

Post by Bob Denny »

Yea, easy. Don't Ctrl-Alt-F6 (start), Shift-F7 (debug script). This will start the VS.Net or Office/MSE debugger.
rnrepp@ilstu.edu

Post by rnrepp@ilstu.edu »

Thanks,I don't know why I didn't see it, I guess I was used to using the icons in 4.0 and when they changed in 4.1 my eyes didn't see the change. Glad someone is paying attention!-- Rod
Bob Denny

Post by Bob Denny »

So it works for you with .531? I just discovered that I can no longer Microsoft Script Editor debugger nor the Visual Studio 2005 one. After the initial JIT popup asking me to choose which one, I used to get a second popup asking which engine (with only Script as a choice). Now it hangs my entire system including the mouse for about 3 minutes, then says it can't start the debugger. I think this happened when I installed .531. I'm going to post details in a separate thread...
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 20
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

We don't do anything to the MS Debugger. But they have been known to stop working all by themselves. :-)

Alex
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
Bob Denny

Post by Bob Denny »

Yep, I know! I need help... I know this isn't your problem, but something I did recently killed the debugger on 2 systems, and its ugly. I did a repair on my Office 2003, since that's the debugger (MSE7) that I've been using. No luck there. When trying to run a debugging job, it just hangs forevert, locking up the system. I suspect installing ACDSee 9 is the cause - since that's all I did on the 2 systems that are scorched.Is there a possibility that you have seen this, and maybe know what might have happened? I know it's a long shot, and again I also know that it's not your responsibility. I am just desperate, I really need the debugger. I'm also going to slog throuth the inevitable old wives' tales on Gooooogle.
Bob Denny

Post by Bob Denny »

Never mind... After a day of wrestling with this, via many System Restore points and rollbacks, I have it working again on one of the two systems. It seems that Camtasia Studio 4 kills it on that system. My older 2000 system doesn't have Camtasia, but it's still dead there, despite Office repair. Don't burn asy time on this, but if you have any info on how it can be brought back to life, I'd appreciate a reference to that info.
donj

Post by donj »

A *lot* of things break the MS debugger - IE7 broke it for me. Very frustrating - but glad you found your culprit.
This topic is 17 years and 2 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.