New file open/save dialog

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
Alexander Riedel

Post by Alexander Riedel »

1. This is possible..

2. "Rename" is available from the Organize menu.
As previously mentioned it is temporarily removed
from the context menu due to a Windows 7 bug.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.

kentf@thinkwell.com

Post by kentf@thinkwell.com »

Hi Alexander,

Thanks for the reply.

For item #1, I did some more further experimenting. I think the wildcard problem is just with certain uses of wildcards. Leading asterisk wildcards seem to work ("foo*"). Trailing asterisk works ("*foo"). Providing both leading and trailing wildcards doesn't work ("*foo*"). "*foo*" in the standard Windows file open dialog finds filenames containing the string "foo" anywhere in the name. Embedded wildcards don't seem to work, e.g. "foo*bar" doesn't match files beginning with "foo" and ending with "bar". The question mark character (to match a single character) doesn't seem to work at all. I'm running XP SP3 by the way.

2. Thanks for the tip about "Organize".

Alexander Riedel

I will check that.
Alexander Riedel

Bob Denny

Post by Bob Denny »

Now I found another killer problem. I cannot save files to network shares with the custom File Save dialog. Even if I map a drive to the share, it still sticks spurious stuff into the path. Trying to save to xxxcSome Dirxxx.yyy results in an error message like "C:Documents and SettingssomebodyMy DocumentsSAPIENScriptsxxxcSome Dirxxx.yyy contains an invalid path". Trying to save to a mapped drive (e.g., "Q") by entering Q:xxx.yyy into the file entry area results in "Q:Q:xxx.yyy contains an invalid path". You cannot navigate to the net share within the save as dialog. You have to type (e.g.) Q: into the field at the top, then you see the files there is you are lucky. One time it got stuck only letting me see WSC files and some other types. Somehow, not my intentional actions, it saved the file to my local desktop (I figured that out by looking at the Primal Script title bar).

These new dialogs are just a loser.

Alexander Riedel

I did a quick test and can save files easily to a network drive, mapped drive or not.

Detailed steps to produce this would be more helpful than comments of this nature.
Alexander Riedel

JasonBern

Post by JasonBern »

I have been following this thread for a while now and the first time ever I feel compelled to post here.

I have used PrimalScript since 2.0 and I find the helpfulness of the SAPIEN staff and Alex in particular outstanding. I don't know any other software company that provides this level of responsiveness and service.

I have no idea what the good folks at SAPIEN have planned that they need these dialogs but I am sure they have a reason. Reading some of the posts here, including some that seem to have bee moderated away or deleted, I think someone needs to give this folks a break.

I humbly submit that if we all would work *with* them rather than trying to force a return to the shores of the old world we could all benefit.

So let me say it here, I am glad that the old dialog is gone. It did start to look kind of silly and old fashioned.

So go SAPIEN! I am sure you will fix whatever these negative nancys find wrong in no time flat.

Bob Denny

Post by Bob Denny »

Jason --

I think you've got me wrong - I am a looong time heavy PS user and great advocate. I didn't make that stuff up. So if I can, Monday when I get back in here, I'll make up a video. Perhaps that will serve well as a repro scenario. If you'll look back in the messages here (my name) you'll see several unsolicited thank you messages from me... just out of the blue. PS has been such a wonderful tool - and so trouble free for me, that the appearance of these 3rd party dialogs and the walls I keep running into with them are so out of character for Alex and the gang there.

Bob Denny

Post by Bob Denny »

OK, here's one video:

http://solo.dc3.com/sapien1.wmv

I hope this helps.

JasonBern

Post by JasonBern »

Bob.

Your post was the trigger to cause me to jump in, but please understand that you are not the only one. There are some other characters here, you know who you are, who simply bash things because they are "unexpected" or "new"

I don't think anyone, in particular Alex, would assume you make things up, he is mostly frustatingly sticking to observable and reproducable facts ;-) (sorry Alex, sometimes you are).
What I was sensing from you and others is a kind of stubborn resistance that SAPIEN should go to the old dialogs just because some 4 or 5 people didn't like the look or because there is a bug or because someone couldn't find something.

Like I said, I have no idea what or why they are doing this, but what I have learned is that usually they have a good reason and I trust that whatever problem they encounter will be fixed as soon as they can muster.

I found some things in these dialogs too and, as in the past, just emailed a list of steps to reproduce to Alex and as usual everything was fixed in the next service build. I couldn't ask for more. I wish M$ would do that with SQL Server ;-)

So I went and looked at all your posts and I have to say its you who is a little out of character. Doesn't seem like you got freaked out by things in the past if they didn't initially work like you wanted them to.

Anyway, I understand how a bug can be frustrating but if I would have to answer your post calling it a "loser dialog" I'd be equally frustrated.

Anywho, I will look at what you reported myself and see if I can send Alex a list of steps to reproduce.

Hope you don't take anything I said the wrong way. Just trying to help these guys to go forward.

Alexander Riedel

Thanks Bob. I will look at it as soon as I can.
Alexander Riedel