New file open/save dialog

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 14 years and 4 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
Bob Denny

Post by Bob Denny »

Just using the default dialog of any given OS removes items that you want and simply is not an option.
I understand, and having the folder pane is nice. Plus it does have some other Vista-ish features, but they aren't interesting enough to override this problem:
Look at the folder tree.

It's way too narrow. Compare with this (Explorer) view:

I need to expand the folder pane, and have that expansion remembered.
Bob Denny

Post by Bob Denny »

Plus, with the network shares that I have as a result of Windows' "crawler" (about 10 of them in My Network Places), if it remembers that My Network Places was expanded, this custom dialog is taking 30-45 seconds to open!

I have completely stopped using File/Open and instead use the File Browser to open everything.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

If you have network timeouts, the default open dialog as well as the File Browser as well as Windows Explorer will show the very same delays. Specially on a slow network or if you changed locations after the last session.

That's a problem not really related to this particular dialog. The only way to avoid it is to not remember where the last file was opened from, if it was from a network location.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
Bob Denny

Post by Bob Denny »

You're likely right about that one, though my last-opened file was not on a net share.

I guess I am being a bit harsh. I never use the folder view, only the Favorite Links. I do hoe you'll make the folder view width adjustable.

NOW I'll shut up :-))Bob Denny2009-10-01 11:35:02
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Post by davidc »

After reading this, Alex had to go on vacation. He will be back next week ;)

David
David
Bob Denny

Post by Bob Denny »

Lucky him!!! I hope he has a nice vacation...
Bob Denny

Post by Bob Denny »

OK, I assume Alex is back, and I'm bumping this to get it back into view. The file open/save dialog is driving me crazy. All I use any more for opening files is double-clicking and the file browser. But I still have to use the thing for saving files, and the constant scrolling back and forth in the folders pane makes me crazy.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

The latest build has a wider setting by default while we work on the problem.
While I was gone I was evaluating the old Windows 2000 style dialog as well as the new Vista/Windows 7 style dialog.
While the old dialog has no tree style navigation to begin with, the Vista dialog suffers from the same problem. The tree view gets too small too fast and you end up constantly resizing panes.

We are working on a better design that allows more space to navigate folder structures while not removing any of the other elements and benefits.
Alexander Riedel
Bob Denny

Post by Bob Denny »

OK, I understand, and thanks...
kentf@thinkwell.com

Post by kentf@thinkwell.com »

Hi,I agree with the original poster that the new file open isn't an improvement. The two features I miss most from the old Windows open dialog are:1. Being able to enter wildcards into the file name field to restrict the list of the files displayed in the open dialog (e.g. "report*" to see only files starting with 'report').2. Can't rename a file by right-clicking a name in the open dialog and selecting 'Rename'. I often want to copy a file to a new file in the same directory, rename the old version, and open the new copy. All could be done from the standard windows dialog before.
This topic is 14 years and 4 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.