Compiled EXE that create a temp file

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 7 years and 3 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
Rodent

Compiled EXE that create a temp file

Post by Rodent »

Product, version and build:PrimalScript, 7.2.96
(*** Please do not write "latest" as a version, specify a version number ***)
32 or 64 bit version of product: 64
Operating system: Windows 8.1
32 or 64 bit OS: 64

DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTIONS, KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM

It seems that this is still not resolved???

Creating an EXE that when run create a temporary file and placing such EXE's in a read only location.

This has been a problem as you know since you change the temp file location from C:\Temp to the same location as the EXE files location.

Please let me know when this will be fixed.

Regards
Rodney
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Compiled EXE that create a temp file

Post by Alexander Riedel »

As far as I am aware the problem has been resolved a while ago. From your previous posts I am assuming you refer to HTA files, even though no such information is provided here.
I packaged an HTA, placed it in a folder under C:\Program Files and it ran fine, creating the temporary file in C:\Temp as a fall back since C:\Program Files is a protected location.
So unless you give us a little more information, I am not sure what to tell you.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
Rodent

Post by Rodent »

OK, I have a HTA file that I turn into an EXE that runs as a different user, the EXE is placed into a network location that 1. the users only have read only rights and 2. the different user also only has read only rights.

the EXE does not run, no error nothing.

So I have then placed the EXE into C:\Program Files\Test Folder

When I run the EXE I get the following error:

Could not create Script
C:\Program Files\Test Folder\3E25CADC.hta, error: 5

So as you see I can't see that the problem is fixed, I will be happy to run any tests that you require to assist you in resolving this problem.

Regards
Rodney
Alexander Riedel

I'll package an exe for you to run as soon as I get a chance. If you have a network folder where users have ONLY read permission, not read and execute, any executable file will simple not be started. That is normal Windows behavior and has nothing to do with packaging.
Alexander Riedel
Rodent

Post by Rodent »

Alexander Riedel wrote:I'll package an exe for you to run as soon as I get a chance. If you have a network folder where users have ONLY read permission, not read and execute, any executable file will simple not be started. That is normal Windows behavior and has nothing to do with packaging.
The network folder is the same folder that we use for all our support programs that staff use all the time and before the change was made to extract the temp file into the same folder as the EXE the programs worked fine.

Now running the EXE's by double clicking the EXE nothing happens, but if a shortcut is created in the same folder but the 'start in' is changed to 'c:\temp' then the program runs and the temp file is created in the c:\temp folder.

Regards
Rodney
Alexander Riedel

I can just go by what you tell me and you wrote "read only rights" :D
I tried to recreate this here on a network folder (with read and execute rights) and it worked fine,
so we will have to investigate what is different.
Alexander Riedel
This topic is 7 years and 3 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.