Posts Tagged ‘Microsoft’


SAPIEN Press: Microsoft Hyper-V Available for purchase

Wednesday, January 5th, 2011 by Ferdinand Rios
Thomas Townsend’s Microsoft Hyper-V is now available as printed and PDF eBook on It is also available as a print + eBook combo. Check out Tom's book and all of the other SAPIENPress books available on The printed book is also available on…   More »

Microsoft Scripting Guys showing PrimalForms Community Edition

Monday, March 1st, 2010 by Alex Riedel
The Scripting Guys over at Microsoft have started a series on how to use PrimalForms Community Edition for various tasks. Have a look at their first installment here: Make sure to give Ed Wilson a shout if you like it and if there are any specific items you would like to see covered.…   More »

Microsoft Update PowerShell v1.0

Thursday, March 26th, 2009 by Jeffery Hicks
After a lot of hard work on the PowerShell team's part, Microsoft has finally made PowerShell v1.0 available as an optional download on Microsoft Update. It will likely only be detected if you have no other versions of Powershell already installed, this includes any CTP release. Obviously you must be running a supported operating system with the latest service pack, which means no Windows 2000, and you must already have the .NET Framework v2.0 installed.  That too should have the latest patches. Before you get gung-ho and have spread all this PowerShell goodness in your network, remember it still needs…   More »

Your Vote and Comments count

Wednesday, October 8th, 2008 by Jeffery Hicks
I like seeing all the votes for our short PowerShell production poll. Over 100 responses and still overwhelmingly more of you are using PowerShell in production. If you aren't, I hope you'll vote and leave a comment why on the original post so that the discussion will be in one location.…   More »

Congratulations Hal Rottenberg

Wednesday, October 1st, 2008 by Jeffery Hicks
It's that time of year again when Microsoft announces its newest MVPs. I'm happy to report that Hal Rottenberg has finally received this honor. Not only does Hal hold down a pretty serious day job, he is co-host of the popular PowerScripting Podcast and the community director for  You can also find Hal on Twitter. In case you've been hibernating, Hal is also writing a book for SAPIEN Press, Managing VMWare with Windows PowerShell: TFM. You might start thinking that you need to be an MVP to write for SAPIEN Press considering so many of our titles are…   More »

PowerShell Production Poll

Tuesday, September 23rd, 2008 by Jeffery Hicks
If you've been to the SAPIEN blog, hopefully you've noticed the simple poll: "Are you using PowerShell in a production environment?" Right now 75% of respondents are using PowerShell today to manage their network. I'm curious about the other 25%. I'm not passing judgement but am genuinely interested why an organization is NOT using PowerShell. Here are some reasons I can think of.   More »

Managing Active Directory with Windows PowerShell – IN PRINT!

Monday, September 22nd, 2008 by Jeffery Hicks
Yes, its finally true. You can finally get your hands on Managing Active Directory with Windows PowerShell: TFM. The book is being printed so you can get your copy today. You can order it today at in both print and ebook format. Or if you prefer the best of both worlds get both as a bundle.   More »

Powershell vs T-SQL

Sunday, August 31st, 2008 by Jeffery Hicks
If you've been debating the pros and cons of PowerShell vs T-SQL, or trying to decide why anyone would want to use PowerShelll to manage SQL server when it already has a great management language, take a look at  Good stuff. Clear and to the point.…   More »

TechNet Webcast: Managing Hyper-V Virtual Machines with WMI and Windows PowerShell

Tuesday, July 1st, 2008 by Jeffery Hicks
I don't know how I missed this, but I hope I can find some time to squeeze it in tomorrow. I'm excited about setting up Hyper-V for all of my test and demo virtual machines. And of course, PowerShell topics are always fun. Wednesday, July 02, 2008 8:00 AM Pacific Time (US & Canada) Event Overview Before the beta release of Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008, there was only one option for automating management of Hyper-V virtual machines—Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI). In this webcast, you learn how to automate the most common management tasks, how to create a…   More »

PowerShell MVP x2

Tuesday, July 1st, 2008 by Jeffery Hicks
I have to admit I was a little nervous about my end of my PowerShell MVP award year. Had I done enough over the last year to maintain it? Or enough to merit a another year? Did I spend enough time in discussion forums? Was I helpful to enough people? Fortunately it appears I was.   More »