[PSS2014] All the little things

Post feature requests, product enhancement ideas, and other product-specific suggestions here. Do not post bug reports.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.
This topic is 9 years and 9 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
Bosparan

[PSS2014] All the little things

Post by Bosparan »

Hi guys,

I've been writing down all those minor irritations that happen to me that individually don't really have much in the way of an effect (and all have trivial workarounds). So I thought I'd just chuck the lot at you, not really expecting a fix for most of them (they are minor irritations, really), but just to be rid of them.

So here it is ...

Automatic new lines & indent
Example-Codeblock:
PowerShell Code
Double-click the code block to select all.
{ Write-Host "haha" }
now imagine expanding this uniline scriptblock into a multiline scriptblock ...
PowerShell Code
2 Scenarios: (Pressing Enter with cursor on "|")
1.: { Write-Host "haha"| }
2.: { Write-Host "haha" |}
PowerShell Code
Result 1:
{
	Write-Host "haha"
	}
PowerShell Code
Result 2:
{
	Write-Host "haha"
}
In Scenario 1, the closing curly brace will be wrongly indented.

Lagging Text-Entry during extended operation
When PSS 2014 has been running for quite some time (usually 6+ Hours), it occasionally slows down significantly, even though system resource consumption is negligible.
Several seconds lag between typing and written text are not uncommon when this occurs (and no other program is affected).
Fixed by restarting PSS 2014.

The size of the currently opened file doesn't appear to matter, however the entire project is 60000+ lines of code (most files not opened, even in background), in case that matters.

Module Projects:
When creating a new module project, I need to manually add the lines to the psm1 file that will load all .ps1 files (so that its Export-ModuleMember * does something).

Have CBH maintain indentation while editing
While editing the CBH, the editor maintains a linear indentation line as would be appropriate outside the CBH block. For example, inside a function it will have one indentation. However in the CBH all element headers have 2 indentations and all content has three (following my own default indentation anyway).

Example without manually changing indentation:
PowerShell Code
function Get-Test
{
    <#
	.SYNOPSIS
	ABCDEFG

.DESCRIPTION
	HIJKLMNOP
Example after manually setting indentation:
PowerShell Code
function Get-Test
{
    <#
		.SYNOPSIS
			ABCDEFG

.DESCRIPTION
			HIJKLMNOP
(While I'm at it: Automatic CBH generation will generate it completely without indentation).

Param Block and indentation
New lines in a param block will not be indented until after pressing enter again (slightly irritating, no real impact).

Primal Sense: Parameter Aliases don't vanish
When typing a function or command, it will not offer parameters in primal sense that were already added. However, primal sense will offer its aliases.

Primal Sense: Escaped strings
If I place a $() inside a string, I can add code whose ToString() output will be part of the string. Primal Sense would be nice.

Primal Sense: Strings in parameters
If I write a string as an argument for a parameter, and that string contains a "-", it will start primal sense for the Parameters of the function.

Reset Indent for enclosed strings
Example of how it is:
PowerShell Code
$string = @"
	| Default indent is here
"@
Example of how I'd like it:
PowerShell Code
$string = @"
| Default indent is here
"@
And that's it.
Lots of minor things with little impact and please don't interpret this as a complaint (it'd be major nit-picking, especially after the awesome job you guys did fixing stuff and implementing my requests recently). Just thought I'd mention it so I can discard it from the back of my brain (the next time I encounter it, I can in good consciousness ignore it as I've already reported it. Stupid brain ;) )

Cheers,
Bosparan
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: [PSS2014] All the little things

Post by davidc »

Hello Bosparan,

As for the lag, if you close the project or files does it still lag (without restarting the app)?

We will address some of these issues in the next service build.

David
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
Bosparan

Post by Bosparan »

Hi David,

the lag alas is not cured by closing the project and reopening it (or another, smaller project). I cannot say whether the project size matters at all for this effect (The only project I have open for that kind of extended time is my primary PS library).

However I can confirm from a colleague of mine that this effect occurs both on my Win 7x 64 machines (Home & Office) as well as his Win 8.1 x64 computer. Both of us have the same project opened (not the same files, he's got a copy - daily one-way synchronization).

Cheers,
Bosparan
davidc

Post by davidc »

If you like, send the project to support@sapien.com and I will leave it running for a while and hopefully find the cause.

David
David
Bosparan

Post by Bosparan »

Hi David,

would love to, however I can't (my boss would crucify me), since it's a fairly large portion of my and my teammates work this past year.

Hm ...

I'll set up a fake Project with some files and fill them programmatically with extensive comments and let it run, maybe that will work too. If it does, I'll send that.

As I said in the original post, this isn't exactly affecting my work all that much, so I'm prepared to live with that. I mentioned it (and the other stuff) so the next time it happens I can just relax thinking "Hey, a minor nuisance, but I already reported it, so it's ok" instead of "Hm, should I report this thing NOW? Or would they think I'm nit-picking. Or would I be Nit-Picking? Hmmm ...".

Anyway before I start rambling too much: Thanks for taking the time, if the lagging experience can be recreated in a test-project, I will send you that project.

Cheers,
Bosparan
davidc

Post by davidc »

No problem, not everybody is able to send their projects. I left the application running and did not experience the lag. In the case you do reproduce the issue with a test project, please include your application settings as well.

David
David
This topic is 9 years and 9 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.