Will PrimalScript do runas in this scenario?

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 7 years and 3 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
Patchm00

Will PrimalScript do runas in this scenario?

Post by Patchm00 »

Hello, in addition to being able to use PrimalScript for scripting, we understand it has an encryption module that allows you to also embed a “runas” administrator for regular users to use it to install software with elevated privalegs.

There is one thing in particular we are looking for it to do and that is run an Office 2016 installation that has many sub processes embedded. for instance, the batch file calls another batch file which calls 4 .vbs scripts. is it able to do this all with admin rights? thank you
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 20
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Will PrimalScript do runas in this scenario?

Post by Alexander Riedel »

It sounds like you are referring to our script packager. Yes, you can package scripts to run as a different user and/or elevated. Generally processes launched from these scripts then are also running under the new credentials so you should be able to accomplish what you want.
Please be aware that going from regular user to elevated admin could be a two step process, depending on your OS and User Access settings.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
Patchm00

Post by Patchm00 »

Yes i've read elsewhere about the 2 step process but have not yet seen it explained in a "how to" format. Do you have a link that shows that?

thanks for your reply
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 20
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Its not that complicated. I will write a blog post :D
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
Patchm00

Post by Patchm00 »

Well, i think it would be an easy and quick explanation for me to get it working if you could. I've read about making an empty .exe that is using runas user (i guess you can use cscript type since CMD type does not have runas but only impersonate). and that empty .exe gives you the environment of the admin. The second .exe uses elevated manifest but how does it interact with the first? I mean, do you call it from the second script before calling the real .vbs or whatever script? So at the end you have two packages so how do they interact?

thanks
This topic is 7 years and 3 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.