Problems upgrading/re-installing

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 7 years and 7 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
FrankAndrew

Problems upgrading/re-installing

Post by FrankAndrew »

Product, version and build: PrimalScript 2016, 7.2.92 trying to upgrade/replace 7.2.90
32 or 64 bit version of product: 64
Operating system: Windows 7 Enterprise
32 or 64 bit OS: 64

Hi,
on one of my twelve machines (Lab Pack) I cannot upgrade or replace or de-install the current Version 7.2.90.

I get the following Dialog:
Inital Error Message
Inital Error Message
2016.08.22_12-41-41_Trying_to_Install_7.2.92_replacing_7.2.90.png (24.97 KiB) Viewed 3515 times
I then tried to de-install through the Control Panel but it Looks like this:
Control Panel list
Control Panel list
2016.08.22_12-41-56_Control-Panel_Programs-and-Functions.png (52.94 KiB) Viewed 3515 times
And does nothing, not even an error message, when I right click and select deinstall.

When I try to re-install the 7.2.90 Version I get this:
Re-Installation Error
Re-Installation Error
2016.08.22_12-58-04_Error_Messages_when_Trying_to_re-install_the_7.2.90_version.png (21.24 KiB) Viewed 3515 times
I hope you can help me here.
DevinL

Re: Problems upgrading/re-installing

Post by DevinL »

Something must have gone wrong during the upgrade process that corrupted the installation, thankfully we have a tool to help fix issues like this. I've attached a zip with an executable inside that lists the installed software on your machine, follow these steps to get it removed:
  1. Select PrimalScript 2016 and click "Remove" on the right hand side.
  2. Verify the program is no longer listed in the Control Panel.
  3. Go to C:\Program Files\SAPIEN Technologies, Inc\ and make sure the PrimalScript 2016 folder has been deleted.
  4. Attempt to reinstall PrimalScript from a PowerShell console with a command like the following.
  1. .\SPS16Setup_5.2.127_072716.exe /exenoui /qn /L*v .\SPSInstall.log
Attachments
InstallFix.zip
(259.24 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
DevinL
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
FrankAndrew

Post by FrankAndrew »

The first problem that I had was that I had to repeat the steps 1 and 2 about four (4) times before the entry in the control panel was gone.

Then I did step three (3), removal of the files in the files System manually, OK, gone!

Then I entered the following command in a PowerShell console started with local Admin rights (step 4):

.\PSR16Setup_7.2.92_071316_x64.exe /exenoui /qn /L*v .\PSR_Install_from_PowerShell_console_Admin_Rights.log
(see attachment for log file contents)

After the execution of the above command PrimalScript 2016 was NOT installed, so I tried to install it using the "normal" method, calling the executable with local Admin rights.

Well I still get the same error as I got at the start:

"The older version of PrimalScript 2016 cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group."

Well that means you.

What should I do now?
What do you need from me?
Attachments
PSR_Install_from_PowerShell_console_Admin_Rights.log
command line install attempt
(484.79 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
DevinL

Post by DevinL »

Looking through the log it appears as though there's still an entry in the registry that's saying there's an install somewhere on the machine. In order to fix this, let's clear out any references to PrimalScript in your registry and the machine altogether.

NOTE: Before working with the registry, be sure to make a backup in case anything goes awry.

First up, verify that PrimalScript isn't displayed in the Control Panel as a program you can uninstall. If it's not in the list, then let's start with the registry by creating a backup. After creating the backup, look for the two following keys and delete them:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.\PrimalScript 2016
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Caphyon\Advanced Installer\

After deleting those keys, verify the following folders have been deleted as well:
C:\Program Files\SAPIEN Technologies, Inc\PrimalScript 2016
C:\ProgramData\SAPIEN Technologies\PrimalScript 2016

Lastly, try installing PrimalScript again using the command I previously posted so that we can get another log if it doesn't install properly.
DevinL
FrankAndrew

Post by FrankAndrew »

Hi DevinL,

After following the first three steps I had to change the fourth step to:

C:\ProgramData\SAPIEN\PrimalScript 2016

Because the other path does not exist on my machine.

Then I run the following command in a PowerShell console:

.\PSR16Setup_7.2.92_071316_x64.exe /exenoui /qn /L*v .\PSR_Install_from_PowerShell_console_Admin_Rights_$(Get-Date -UFormat %Y.%m.%d_%H-%M-%S).log

The Installation was NOT successful!

The log file is attached.
PSR_Install_from_PowerShell_console_Admin_Rights_2016.08.25_08-31-34.log
The next unsuccessfuly attempt
(485 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
Now what do we do?
DevinL

Post by DevinL »

My apologies, you were indeed correct about the path for the fourth step, it was supposed to be C:\ProgramData\SAPIEN\PrimalScript 2016.

And since it's still not letting you install PSR I'm going to speak with the dev team and figure out some more steps to get this working for you.
DevinL
DevinL

Post by DevinL »

According to this line here:
MSI (s) (C8:20) [08:31:36:299]: Couldn't find cached transform C:\Windows\Installer\{DEAD05FB-EE64-4D33-884E-2C0D2F669B01}\PrimalScript2016.mst. Looking for it at the source.

The installer can't locate the cached version of the installer. At this point the only other suggestion we have is to try to delete any references to PrimalScript as outlined in my previous posts, reboot the computer to clear any cache, and then try installing it again with the command I mentioned previously as well.

If this doesn't succeed then we will have to forward your log to the Advanced Installer so they can get this fixed.
DevinL
This topic is 7 years and 7 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.